Finally, KCET offers a photo essay on the construction of Wilshire Boulevard east of MacArthur Park. Today it is hard to fathom that the boulevard actually had its eastern end at the aforementioned park. However, various interests came together to formulate and advance an extension of Wilshire Boulevard, which served communities as far west as Santa Monica, to Downtown LA. Construction of the extended boulevard involved purchasing properties, demolishing numerous buildings and crossing MacArthur Park. The new road opened in 1934.